/* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; padding-top:15px; line-height: 1.6em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; text-align: center; } -->

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

US Jazz: 'Cutting Out The Cross

Isaiah 53; v. 5
"But he was wounded for our iniquities, bruised for our transgressions.
The chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes, we are healed."


The significance of the above was lost on US singer Jackie Jones, the
headline act of Tuesday night's US Embassy Jazz concert at the Pegasus
Gardens.

Jones opted to do the traditional hymn, "He Looked Beyond My Faults & Saw My Needs"
(popularly referred to by its opening line, "Amazing Grace Shall Always Be My Song of Praise")
At the chorus, where the hymn would read "I shall forever lift mine eyes to Calvary,
to view the cross where Jesus died for me" she deliberately substituted the following lines:

"I shall forever lift my head in thanks to Thee
for all that you have done for me"

By deliberately eliminating the cross and any mention of Jesus, Jones essentially
ripped the heart out of the song, and marred what up to that point was a pleasant,
if unspectacular evening's entertainment.

Backed by a Harold Davis-led group that included Alex Martin-Blanken(kybd), Dale Brown (elc bass); Junior "Bird" Bailey (dr) and Warren harris (alto sax & prcssion);
she delivered R&B-inflected covers of such standards as My Funny Valentine and Cheek to Cheek, as well as a catchy Latin-tinged original, entitled Bittersweet.

Jackie, if you can't behold the cross, don't try to deny others the knowledge of Him. Sing the whole truth or nothing.

No comments: